Job Title: Assistant Controller
Job Type: Full-Time; Exempt
Reports to: Corporate Controller
Date: January 2024
Real Capital Solutions is a highly entrepreneurial real estate investment company pairing active capital with an emphasis on street level solutions. As an active investment management company, RCS sources deals in value-add, opportunistic and high barrier to entry markets. RCS is a solution oriented real estate company that focuses on acquisitions, development, and management for highly complex and structured real estate opportunities. RCS has 35 years of operational and real estate expertise with returns that are in the top 5% of private equity real estate firms in the US.
The Assistant Controller is accountable for the accounting operations of RCS – the management company, and the Treasury Department. This position supervises the Corporate Accounting Staff and the Treasury Operations Supervisor. The Assistant Controller is responsible for the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of the core accounting system, establishment of internal controls, and support for the creation of the annual RCS Corporate budget.
Strategy, Planning, and Management
- Oversee RCS Corporate Accounting and Treasury departments.
- Act as a strategic business partner to the Corporate Controller
- Develop a top-notch accounting and treasury team focusing on people development, accountabilities, respect, and a drive for results.
- Create and establish yearly financial initiatives and goals for your team that align with the company’s plan for growth. Track and report on the status of the initiatives and goals.
- Mentor and develop the team, managing work allocation, systems training, performance evaluations, and the building of an effective and efficient team dynamic.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements in financial operations and implement efficiency-enhancing initiatives.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to streamline workflows and enhance overall financial controls.
Financial Analysis, Budgeting, and Forecasting
- Assist with the preparation of the annual RCS budget, financial forecasts, and report variances.
- Develop and maintain the operational budgets for each department.
- Prepare and present the monthly budget vs actual reports for the corporate entity.
- Conduct regular financial analyses to assess the company’s financial performance and provide actionable insights to senior management.
Accounting and Reporting
- Execute and lead all monthly, quarterly, and annual accounting closes, including setting the reporting calendar with specific timeline and deadlines to meet all reporting requirements.
- Maintain chart of accounts, user security, and support tickets issued in the core accounting systems to identify potential problems (MRI, Avid, Ebill, Chrome River, Billable Time).
- Assist in the development and implementation of financial policies, procedures, and controls to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and industry best practices.
- Assure conformity with professional accounting standards and best practices and in accordance with GAAP when applicable.
- Collaborate with internal and external auditors to facilitate the audit process and ensure compliance with accounting standards when required.
Financial and Cash Management
- Manage the cash flow planning process and ensure funds availability and the maintenance of minimum required cash balances.
- Review the daily cash position and optimize the utilization of available funds.
- Maintain and enhance cash forecasting models to ensure adequate liquidity for ongoing operations and investment opportunities.
- Work with corporate teams to maintain banking relationships and strategic alliances with vendors and business partners.
- Coordinate the opening and closing of bank accounts, ensuring compliance with regulatory guidelines.
- Monitor banking services, fees, and performance, and negotiate favorable terms for the company.
- Financial Management
- Business Acumen
- Communication Proficiency
- Ethical Conduct
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Strategic Thinking
- Technical Capacity
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required with a master’s degree preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or equivalent, or an advanced degree preferred.
- Five or more years of solid accounting experience, with a minimum of two years of management experience
- Detail oriented with ability to work in high volume setting.
- MRI and Sage Timberline software knowledge a plus
- Solid understanding of all products in Microsoft Office Suite, proficient with MS Excel is a must, good working knowledge of Word and PowerPoint would be a plus.
- Ability to comply with company rules and regulations.
- Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with internal and external customers through two-way verbal and written communication (speech, hearing, and writing).
- Ability to operate various office equipment including computer, telephone, fax, copier, calculator.
- Ability to work long hours.
- Ability to write and see things in close proximity.
- Ability to work independently and refer appropriate matters to supervisor when necessary.
- Ability to comprehend written and verbal communication.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit when doing paperwork or answering emails; use hands or fingers to utilize the computer. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please go to LinkedIn and apply or send your cover letter and resume to [email protected]